Mother’s Day (May 14, 2017) is just around the corner so I thought I’d write a post about the essential oils that I think are the “Essential Top 6 Essential Oils” (Ha Ha!) in case you need inspiration for a gift. Essential oils are so useful in day to day life. I don’t know what I ever did without them. I use them in my kitchen counter cleaning spray, mop water, hand cream, face oil, and bath salts. I have roll-on formulas for headaches, sinus congestion, allergies, and tummy aches. I even carry a “first aid” oil roll-on in my purse for cuts, scratches, and bug bites.
And the new uses for them keep appearing. Here’s an example: One of my cats “got sick” in my bedroom the other day and the smell was AWFUL! I used a mixture of lemon, rosemary, tea tree, lavender, and pine in my diffuser to purify the air. It worked wonderfully! No more stinky sick cat smell. The room smelled fresh and clean.
My girls have diffusers in their rooms to help them sleep, or with seasonal allergy symptoms, or congestion. So you see there are a million uses and close to that many oils. The possibilities are endless and sometimes overwhelming. So here’s my list of my Top Six to get you (or your mother) started.
- Lavender – calming, relaxing, helps with sleep. Treats scars, wrinkles, and minor skin burns. And lessens itching from bug bites.
- Eucalyptus – great for congestion. Apply topically to aching muscles and joints. Can stimulate circulation as well as aid mental focus.
- Peppermint – has a cooling effect on the skin. Dilute and apply topically for headache or indigestion; just a sniff calms a queasy stomach.
- Lemon – anti-bacterial: boosts the immune system and is also great to add to cleaning products for this reason. Apply topically to cold sores but watch for photosensitivity.
- Rosemary – stimulating, warming, and refreshing. Add to eucalyptus to treat congestion or muscle aches. Add to peppermint and dilute for a great tummy soother. Also aids mental alertness when combined with lemon and/or peppermint.
- Frankincense – immune booster. Also promotes clear breathing, and clear mindedness. Smells amazing!
As you know, I use and sell Plant Therapy Essential Oils as well as my own blends (Nature’s Essentials) so if there is anything I can get or make for you just let me know.