I was hoping to share some more tips for dealing with muscle soreness with you since this is week two of my youngest daughter’s basketball league but the flu has hit our house. So I’ll save those for later and share a wonderful cough drop recipe that my mother-in-law and I tried out this weekend. They seem to be working wonders on our coughs and, to tell the truth, the taste is somewhat addictive.
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup butter
10 drops favorite essential oil (We used 2 drops Oregano oil, 3 drops Lemon oil, and 5 drops of our personal “Thieves” blend oil)
- Put all the ingredients except essential oil in a heavy pan and cook slowly over medium heat until it reaches the “hard crack stage.” Stir constantly. It will take longer than you think.
- Resist the urge to turn the heat up higher to speed up the process. It will burn unless you keep it on medium and check it often. Keep sniffing for a burning smell. If you smell anything remove from heat immediately and allow to cool a bit; turn down burner.
- Once you can drizzle a spoonful of the syrup into a cup of cold water and have it turn to brittle threads–take it off the heat immediately. Do not remove from heat early or you will have chewy (not hard) cough drops.
- Wait about 30 seconds to a minute and then stir in the essential oil.
- Pour into a greased cookie sheet. A quarter sheet pan works perfectly. I’m going to try lining it with parchment paper next time so I can lift the whole thing out once it hardens a little and cut it on a cutting board so I don’t scratch up my sheet pans.
- Once candy is cool enough to handle, use a large knife to cut into ½” strips. Then remove strips one at a time and cut into bite size pieces. Work quickly to cut candy before it hardens completely.
- If your drops have been cooked long enough, you’ll be able to store them in a jar unwrapped.
- If they are a bit soft and still sticky, wrap them in waxed paper squares and store in an airtight container. And cook longer the next time you make them.
The inspiration for our recipe can be found at Recipe by at http://graciousrain.com/honey-spice-cough-drops/